Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Nights Like These



We look at each other from across the table
Within a crowded room, a helpless romantic 
can only hope to listen to her voices words
When she smiles and glances away from
making pristine eye contact because its too much,
one can begin to wonder, what are we doing across the table
from one another?
I think it'd be hilarious if we turned out one day to be lovers
It would go against nearly everything we've ever 
weaved together into our basket or painted thoughts,
drunken nights, and sleepovers that felt like
nights where we were little girls
We never talked then 
Across the table from one another,
we make up for lost years
and spurt out our lives
We spit truths even if we knew them all along
The difference between us is,
you're psychic 
You know my life and my thoughts
from the inside, out
More than anyone from the same perspective
We are relatively close to being you, the activist
and I, the visionary
I could paint you in my mind endlessly
From your perfect teeth to your poetic mind
that the internet can only catch glimpses and squint to see
I'd never kiss you in mid sentence to try and be "cute"
I'm a gentle lady in disguise, with class
Together, we have delicately coated minds
that are acrylic
I wish that all of the nights across the table
went on into the next day and more
Like this night, will never end



~Tina Meeks


No comments:

Post a Comment