Friday, January 13, 2023

Catching Up on Sleep

 

Catching up with you is only an illusion.

When falling asleep, I think

about all that the day has done for me,

and wanting only a little more of your time.

Hiding from you and running away, whilst watching the

empty streets and wishing you'd appear.

I hide myself, yet

beg silently for you.

Horrified that I never saw it before.

Denied it could ever be true.

You could actually tear me apart

from the inside, if you wanted to,

and it'd be so much worse than 

the marathon run down heart and

evaporated motivation.

Though the moment you drape yourself

over me,

I drift into an unstructured realm;

a whole dimension that has life because

you've gifted it to me.

If I have to go a single night without you,

I would end up deeper into the crevices of the creaky floor boards

and stew in the wreckage.

A night when you're not there

is a romanticized particle of shuffling

in the sheets, pressing

against the cold, so something can have my attention

when restlessly spacing out 

and dreading the seconds passing by

with you not there.

Wishfully thinking that any moment now,

I'd close my eyes and you'd appear.


~Tina Meeks

No comments:

Post a Comment