Monday, August 10, 2026

Vanilla

 

Her vanilla scent lingered on my shoulders like how
it captured me at the beach

Captured me in my wind
My breathing, hard and pushed
We pushed ourselves into the sand
Her vanilla scent called up my nasal passageways

I tried to breathe deeper and
slower to allow myself to seep into the seconds
that raced behind us

I questioned why, before,
I never enjoyed the smell of vanilla much

Today, I think further into the crevice
that has kept me warm during the loneliest moments


When my breathing becomes shallow

I fall into old habits and laugh to keep from sobbing
Eventually, I wallow, so what's even the point?
A disappointing reality when my own tricks
think they can still trick me into thinking

I'm thinking so deeply in circles and the pain hits home

Melancholy sits on the floor with me at home

that doesn't sit well in my gut
and I let myself go into the same cycle and thought for just a moment,
I got another whiff of vanilla

No comments:

Post a Comment